Monday, November 11, 2013

Hello World, I'm Here!


I've been pondering starting a blog for a while now, but couldn't decide what I should write about.  It finally hit me, it would be most interesting to write about what I know, which is living in and photographing Alaska.  I'm lucky enough to live in this beautiful state that many people dream of visiting, and I want to share the experience with you.

So, how did I get here?   Most people don't know me or my story, so here is the short version.

Well, my first big purchase (besides books) when I started law school in 1997 was a Canon Rebel SLR.  I know, law school is hard work, who has time to learn photography at the same time, what was I thinking?  But law school was boring.  They really need to include Sandbox 1 and 2 classes along with Torts and Civil Procedure so people can relax and express their creative side.  I played around with the camera and had fun going out to explore Oregon, but the cost of film kept me from doing too much.  Then, in 2005 my husband bought me the digital version of that camera and things changed.

This camera let me learn new skills FAST.  I was fun and I started exploring San Antonio and the area with my new friend.  Life moves fast, and so do we and soon I found myself exploring eastern Washington, then southeast Idaho through my lenses.  The bug had bit.  I had a reason and a focus for going out exploring the forests and parks.  My camera gave me freedom and direction at the same time. 

Like I said, we've moved around a lot.  It's averaged about every 18 months for the past 10 years.  I moved to Alaska after law school because I needed a change and I figured if I wanted to be a photographer I should probably be someplace with lots of potential.  Of course, paying the bills gets in the way, so I was working desk jobs too and not feeling very fulfilled.  We found other opportunities out of state and moved to Texas, then Washington, Idaho and finally got the chance to move back to Alaska.  We were going home.  We moved to Juneau, and then back to Palmer when work didn't last in Juneau. 

I can finally explore Alaska the way I wanted to a decade ago, and create photos that excite me and make me want to share them with you

The shot above is an image I took this week after a quick freeze at a local waterfall.  I found it by accidnet while taking a drive with my 4 year old.  At the time I didn't have a tripod or very warm clothes, so I went back two days later with my camera and those things.  I spent several hours climbing around the waterfall, searching for ways to capture the beauty of the waterfall that was both frozen and racing down hill.  I'm not a big techy person, but for those who are interested I'll include the equipment I used.

Equipment: Canon 60D, 18-55 IS lens, Promaster circular polarizer, my trusty Manfrotto tripod that lets me get very close to ground level, and a heavy winter jacket, boots and gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment